The fire that destroyed a tent at the homeless encampment in Saanich was started by the careless use of a cigarette.
This is according the Saanich Fire Department’s investigation at Regina Park.
The fire broke out at around noon on Sunday.
Fire investigators say a smoldering smoke was left on top of combustible items in a tent.
No one was injured in the fire.
The District of Saanich is currently awaiting a court decision on whether an injunction to have the camp dismantled for good will granted.
(file photo of tent city)
Comments are closed.