The City of Victoria says a massive crane called “Dynamic Beast” will be in the harbour next week for work on the new Johnson Street Bridge.
The crane, scheduled tentatively to arrive on Dec. 8th, will do transformative work, installing rings and counter weights.
The city says once the crane arrives, there will be up to five days of work.
There will be periodic closures of the existing bridge and people will have to plan to take the Bay Street Bridge. Transit buses and marine traffic will be altered as well.
This is the time line the city put out in a release, saying it could change with wind conditions.
· The Dynamic Beast crane barge will pass under the current bridge into the Upper Harbour
· An approximate 45-minute closure of the existing bridge will occur sometime between 7 a.m. – 9 a.m.
· The Dynamic Beast crane barge will be positioned in the channel under the existing bridge. An approximate 45-minute closure of the existing bridge will occur sometime between 7 a.m. – 9 a.m.
· The Dynamic Beast crane barge will also lift the lower counterweight and north ring into the bascule pier
· Intermittent bridge closures will occur for several hours between 9:15 a.m. and 5 p.m.
· The Dynamic Beast crane barge will lift the south ring into the bascule pier and depart Victoria
· Intermittent closures will occur between 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. and an approximate 45-minute closure will occur when the crane barge exits from under the current bridge between 2:45 p.m. – 5 p.m.