MTV’s Unplugged series was wildly popular in the 1990s. Some of your favourite bands and artists unplugged their guitars (mostly) and played their hits in a more casual surrounding. Many of these performances were released as albums and became some of their best sellers.
Some of the more interesting, or at least unexpected Unplugged performances came from Joe Walsh appearing with Dr. John (1990), Queensrÿche (1992), Duran Duran (1993), Kiss (1995), and Hole (1995)
Here’s a look at the five best-selling MTV Unplugged albums:
5. 10,000 Maniacs, MTV Unplugged (1993), 2.3 million
4. Mariah Carey, MTV Unplugged EP (1992), 2.7 million
3. Rod Stewart, Unplugged…and Seated (1993), 3.4 million
2. Nirvana, MTV Unplugged in New York (1994), 5.1 million
1. Eric Clapton, Unplugged (1992), 7.7 million